Thursday, September 6, 2012

FRESH BHINDI MASALA (GRAVY)

Hi all,

Its been a while since I psoted a recipe. Well, I've been busy with our India trip coming up shortly. Recently, much to my surprise I have been getting a good number of Okra/Ladies finger from my own veggie garden. I am surprised as I was never serious with my garden nor am I interested in gardening. This time I made my own veggie garden and for the first couple of months, I didnt have anything and now with fall commencing, I wasnt expecting anything but lo and behold, I have been getting fresh Okra's and Tomatoes almost every other day. This has motivated me to take an interest in gardening and maybe next time plant more veggie plants. So, the other day I had about 5-6 Okra's from my garden and I really wanted to make something as it was so fresh. Here it is, straight from my garden

FRESH BHINDI MASALA GRAVY

INGREDIENTS

OKRA/BHINDI/LADIES FINGER : 6-7
ONIONS: 1 CHOPPED
TOMATOES: 1 CHOPPED
POTATO: 1 CHOPPED INTO SMALL PIECES
GINGER AND GARLIC: CHOPPED 1 TBSP EACH
JEERA: 1 TSP
TURMERIC POWDER: A PINCH
RED CHILLI POWDER: 1 TSP
DHANIA POWDER: 1 TSP
GARAM MASALA: 1 TSP
GREEN CHILLI: 1 SLIT
SALT AND OIL AS REQUIRED



Bhindi Masala Gravy


MAKING

The first step is to wash the Bhindi slit them into 4 and then cut them into long medium sized pieces. Next, dry them thoroughly by cleaning them with a dry paper towel and set aside. Take a kadai and pour a tbsp of oil, add the Jeera, 1 Green Chilli, Onions, Ginger and Garlic with a pinch of Turmeric and saute it until light brown.Next add the tomato and stir for a couple of minutes before adding the red chilli powder, Dhania powder, Garam Masala powder and salt. Stir fry for 5 minutes. If it gets dry, add half a cup of water for all spices to get mixed. Add in the chopped potato pieces and close the lid and allow it to cook for 10-15 minutes in low flame with water until the potatoes are soft and cooked. Meanwhile in a separate pan, stir fry the Okra/Bhindi with a tsp of oil and salt until it is lightly cooked, fried and has a colour to it. Finally add the fried Okra pieces to the cooked Gravy and mix it all up and cook for a couple of minutes. Switch off the gas and delicious Bhindi Masala is ready to serve.

TIPS

I added the potato because Okra tends to reduce in size when cooked and since I had just 5-6 okra's it made sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews