Monday, January 23, 2012

BEETROOT KOOTU

This recipe was made by mom when she was here for my delivery. The other day I wanted to make it but as always I forgot how she made it and so I was forced to give a new spin to it and lo-behold it came out so well that I was surprised myself.

So this recipe is a new spin to my mom's Beetroot kootu

INGREDIENTS

BEETROOT: 1-2
CHANA DAL (Kadalai Paruppu): 1/2 cup
CURRY LEAVES
URAD DAL: 1 TBSP OR HANDFUL
COCONUT : 2 TBSP
RED CHILLIES : 3

Beetroot Kootu
SEASONING

COCONUT OIL AND MUSTARD SEEDS



MAKING

Cut the Beetroot into small cubes. Take the Channa Dal and wash it. Boil the Channa Dal and Beetroot together in a vessel with enough salt and water. Now, I didn't have enough time to boil the dal in the cooker which is the easy way to do, so I chose to boil them both together. Meanwhile, fry the Urad Dal, Dry Red Chillies, and coconut until they are light brown in colour and grind it in the mixie with little water. Remember, Channa Dal, takes a long time to cook which I figured out that day. So once its almost cooked or half-cooked, I couldn't wait any longer so to speed things up, I added this to the coconut gravy already in the mixie. Gave them all one or two more rounds in the blender and yes, the beetroot kootu was ready and well mashed and mixed. The Channa dal was totally cooked and mashed totally with the gravy.

Season it with coconut oil and mustard seeds, add it to the kootu once the mustard splutters and your tasty easy Beetroot Kootu is ready. Have it as a side dish to sambhar and even works well with Roti's.

So try it out especially when you have just one beetroot left out which is of no use.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews