Thursday, January 26, 2012

VEGETABLE STEW

Hey all, I am back. First of all, thank you all for the encouragement, thats exactly what I needed to go further. Ok, now my son has gone to school and my daughter is sleeping so its the perfect time to dish out my next recipe. This one I learnt recently and is known to many especially in Kerala. Its called Vegetable Stew served with Appam and Idiappam. I am sure all those from Kerala would be familiar with this.

VEGETABLE STEW

INGREDIENTS

VEGETABLES: CARROTS, POTATOES, CAULIFLOWER, PEAS, CORN etc..
ONIONS : 1 BIG OR 2 SMALL
GINGER : 2 TBSP (CUT, SHREDDED OR PASTE)
GREEN CHILLIES: 4-5
CURRY LEAVES
CORN PEPPER : 1-2 ( not compulsory)
BAY LEAVES : 2
CARDAMOM : 3
CINNAMON STICKS: 3-4
COCONUT MILK : 1 CUP
COCONUT OIL AND SALT


MAKING


Take a pan, add a spoon of coconut oil or any other oil (vegetable, refined oil. canola), add the Bay leaes, Cardamom, Cinnamon sticks, Curry leaves, Ginger paste, Green chillies , Corn pepper. Stir them for a few seconds before adding the Onions. Stir again for a couple of minutes before adding all the vegetables. Make sure the onions and the vegetables are not too fried otherwise the whole stew would be dark in color. Simmer the gas, stir the vegetables, add the salt as required and then finally add the coconut milk. Make sure the gas is in very low flame so that the coconut milk doesn't curdle.If you don't have coconut milk, take grated coconut, grind it in the mixie with water/milk and liquify it so that it gets the consistency like coconut milk. This is what I did as I didnt have coconut milk one time and it came out equally well. The stew shouldn't be too thin or too thick. Your stew is ready, serve it with Appam, Idiappam or any dish like uttappam, sevai . Believe me, its yummy...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews